Here at True Blue Water Delivery Inc. in Niagara Falls, we care about our clients. For that reason, we are providing these tips prepared by Niagara Region.
Cistern Maintenance for Residential Settings
Some rural residents obtain their drinking water from a reservoir or cistern, typically made from concrete. A cistern is used most often in areas where wells do not provide sufficient water or have historically produced water that is unsuitable for drinking. A properly constructed cistern filled with municipally treated water delivered by an approved water hauler should provide water that is safe to drink. However, a cistern still requires periodic inspection, cleaning, and disinfection. Poorly maintained cisterns are easily contaminated.
1. Disinfect the cistern
a) After cleaning
b) If the cistern has become or may be contaminated
c) If a lab result indicates the cistern is contaminated
d) If an inspection reveals there is concern of contamination
2. Add 4 ounces of household (5.25%) unscented bleach per 1,000 gallons of water.
3. Mix the bleach and water with a large clean object.
4. Run each water line (1 at a time) in the house until a chlorine odour is noticed- that includes flushing all toilets, and running all baths and showers. If no odour is noticed, add a little more bleach to the cistern.
5. Let stand overnight. (Minimum 12 hour contact time required.)
6. After at least 3 days, submit a water sample for bacteria testing.
7. Do not drink the water (or use it for brushing teeth or washing fruits/vegetables) until you have received your test results. The water should be safe for bathing, showering, laundry, and toilet flushing.
8. It is recommended that at least a 7 day supply of drinking water (bottled water) be arranged before starting this process. Typically 1.5 litres per person per day should be enough.
Our Valued Partners
In our line of work, we’ve partnered with many related businesses in the area. Just in case you’re looking for services that are related to bulk water delivery such as cistern cleaning, testing and maintenance, True Blue Water Delivery Inc. wholeheartedly recommends the following businesses:
Cistern cleaner: LJS
Water alarm systems: PT Level